Geunja Sami Ecolodge; WWF Arctic Award, Grand Travel Award, Nature's Best 2002-2019
For the surrounding nature and wildlife to remain as untouched as possible, Geunja only welcomes 12 groups of guests a year, and 12 guests each time.
We tailor the content for your trip. Whether you are an individual or a company. Everything is based on our Sami culture and the nature we live in. You sleep in comfortable beds and enjoy different culinary Sami dishes from the family recipes.
THEMES, click more...
- Sami lifestyle - follow Mikael in his everyday life
- Culinary experience through eight seasons in Sápmi. You’ll be invite to the Vinka families table, tasting different dishes from nature around the corner of Geunja. You´ll take part in everything from catching or gathering the raw materials – like fish, birds and plants – to preparing and enjoying the taste of it – in the footsteps of Sami traditions.
- Hiking tours with different themes such as hiking along the King's trails or Artic Fox hike
- Wildlife tours watching for artic fox, reindeer, moose., beavers, otters or different birds in the area.
- Customize fly fishing along streams and in mountain lakes
- Odd experience - When did you last combine snow shoeing with ice fishing and a canoe or boat tour, into a fantastic area for wild watching for beavers, otters, reindeer and moose? Welcome to Geunja during the month of June to experience the surreal!
- Free Spirit - different soft adventures each day
If you are interested, ask for a special program
Three-day experiences (2 nights)
- Accommodation in one Sami ecolodge with 6 beds with linnen
- Full board including breakfast, lunch or packed lunch and dinner with local food from the sami kitchen
- Sami host / hostess
- Welcome drinks and snacks
- Possibility to sleep in a Sami goathie, a "teepee", on a bed of reindeer hides using sleeping bags
- Sami Culture, crafts and storytelling
- All daily guided tours is included
- Wood fired sauna, including towels
- Take part in the daily life at the lodge
- Canoes including lifejacket and paddle
- Boat transport to and from Geunja
Price: 13 000 SEK per person.
Boat transport and day tours
The most famous and longest trail in Sweden is the ’King’s Trail or Kungsleden. You cane start or end your Kungsleden hike with a beautiful boat trip along the valley of Tjulträsk (to and from Ammarnäs). Mikael is also offering day trips. A guided tour give a better understanding and connecting with the local people, landscape and culture. All day trips presented here are baased on a minimum of two people.
The starting point for our soft eco adventures is Tjulträsk. It can also be arranged from the villages in Ammarnäs. Guests of Inlandsbanan and Kungsleden, we´ll gladly meet you at the bus stop/station in Ammarnäs
3 hour Sami Culture and mythology
Boat transport to Geunja sami ecolodge for a deeper understanding and connection with the Sami, the swedish indigenous people.
Sitting together in the traditional Sami goathie, a ” wooden teepee". During the telling we enjoy traditionellt boiled coffee over opened fire, a lovely gahkku, a special Sami bread with culinary ingrediens. Telling about the sami culture today and yesterday, buildings and and mythology.
Price: 995 sek/person including local sami guide, boat transfer, coffee, sami culinary light snack. The tour starts at 5 pm in Ammarnäs busstation and ends at 8 pm (approximately)
Supplement to the 3 hour tour
The Vinka family invite you for dinning. Tasting the pantry of the surrounding mountains. Stay overnight in a Sami goathie, a wooden ”teepee” using a sleeping bag. Before breakfast possible to take a swim in the lake. Breakfast in the goathie or at the fire place next to the water. Back to Ammarnäs after breakfast.
Price: 1995 sek/person including dinner, coffee, cold drinks, overnight in a Sami goathie, sleeping bag, linnen and towel. Breakfast and transport back to Ammarnäs
Hiking & wild life tours
Join a wildlife safari into Ammarnäs in Vindelfjällens nature reserve, one of Europe's largest protected area.The area around Ammarnäs is the most reindeer-dense in Sweden and the arctic fox has a natural habitat in the Vindelfjällen mountains. It is also a symbol for the nature reserve.
Arctic Fox hike in Sápmi, a full day experience!
Over the past decade, your host Mikael has helped the arctic fox project with his local knowledge about both the mountains and the animals. Join a wildlife hike and visit a den with hopefully some arctic foxes carrying lemmings to their puppies. Everything is done from a sustainable distance not to disturb the foxes.
6 hours - Easy walk & Sami storytelling
A short walk in the birch forest nearby Geunja. Learn about different Sami medicinala and edible plants. Traditional Sami lunch over an open fire. Mikael ends the day with a Sami storytelling and show. What makes this showing remarkable is that Sami culture and history is so very present.
6 hours - Hiking along old sami and reindeer trails
Follow Mikael on hiking along a thousand year old reindeer trails. From the mountain tops we have a beautiful view down over the delta of meandering streams and a magnificent mountain scenery . Todays lunch will be served outdoor. Totally 6-8 km hiking.
All the hiking and wildlife tours, price: 1995 SEK per person/day, including Sami guide, boat transfer, sami culinary light lunch or evening snack. Mini 2 pax
Principles for Natures Best
1. Respect the limitations of the destination - the least possible impact on nature and culture.
2. Support the local economy.
3. Make all the operators activities environmentally sustainable.
4. Contribute actively to nature and cultural conservation.
5. Promote knowledge and respect and the joy of discovery.
6. Quality and safety all the way
Booking & information
How to get to Geunja in Vindelfjällen Ammarnäs
Geunja a part of Swedish Lapland